Scott Asprey, RIBA safety educator
According to the latest information form Bureau of Labor Statistic’s fall injuries are the number one cause of accidents on job sites. Did you know that just about 2-out-of-3injuries occur below 20 feet? Accidents such as the following are just a few examples of preventable falls:
The bottom line is that you’re responsible for the safety of your employees and their safety training on a regular basis. Here are some things to keep in mind when it comes to falls:
- Fall protection is mandatory in articulating extendable lifts
- Proof of training is mandatory when using lifts
- Always face the ladder and never work backward to the ladder
- Never use the last step or work platform of a ladder to stand on
- Fall protection is mandatory over 6 feet above a lower surface
- Never work around unprotected edges, sides, opening and hazards that could lead to a fall.
*This tip column appears the third Thursday of each month. We hope it offers some specific tips to help you and your employees stay safe.