Welcome to the RI Contractor Training Center at the RI Builders Association!
How to become a new contractor in Rhode Island
Rhode Island law requires anyone who is in the business of commercial construction, residential home construction, alterations, or remodeling, to be registered with the State of Rhode Island Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board (CRLB).
To get registered in Rhode Island, you must call the RI Builders Association (RIBA) at 401-438-7400, Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm. After hours please email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will call you the next morning.
For 70 years, the Builders Association has been the trusted source for contractors in RI. We can answer your questions about this process and if you are going to do any residential work, get you signed up for the mandatory 5-hour pre-registration class.
Now let’s talk extras! When you call RIBA, we will help you with the State CRLB paperwork, get you the insurance you need, and if you want additional training, you can sign up for complimentary OSHA-10, RRP Lead certification, and over 30 construction courses. From framing, roofing, siding, and scheduling, to professional development classes, all the training is designed to help with your business. All that extra, adds up to thousands in free training and it all comes with your registration when you call! It’s our way of welcoming you to the industry and letting you know that our mission is to help you succeed.
Below is the new RI contractor checklist – it’s what you need prior to applying. We will discuss this with you when you call 401-438-7400.
- 1. Residential Pre-Education Courses (5 hours) are required for applicants performing work on any Residential Structures.
- 2. The State required completed application.
- 3. A required signed statement acknowledging your understanding of the rules governing registration.
- 4. $500,000 Certificate of Liability Insurance indicating R.I.C.R.L.B. as the certificate holder. Please know the RI Builders Association can help you secure the insurance you need.
- 5. $200 Registration Filing Fee, 2 years. Payments made by check or money order; payable to R.I.C.R.L.B. Payments by credit or debit card must be made at the R.I.C.R.L.B. office. NO CASH.
- 6. If your company is a corporation or LLC, then you must be valid with R.I. Secretary of State.
If you are Out-Of-State
In addition to the above, you will need to fill out Section 3 of the Contractors’ Registration Application or the Agent of Service Form. The RI Builders Association can be your Registered Agent in Rhode Island and can explain this process.
Give the RI Builders Association a call today, we are here to guide you into the industry. As a trusted trade association, we have been doing this for over 70 years.
Call us at 401-438-7400.