Welcome to the RI Contractor Training Center at the RI Builders Association!
Important announcement! During the Covid-19 health crisis the RI CRLB has waived the requirement that the mandatory pre-registration class be taken in person. As an alternative the State is allowing a live video option that still allows you to interact with a teacher. Call us on how to become a RI contractor and for details on how to take the class 401-438-7400, or if after hours, via email email@example.com
How to become a new contractor in Rhode Island
Rhode Island law requires anyone who is in the business of commercial construction, residential home construction, alterations, or remodeling, to be registered with the State of Rhode Island Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board (CRLB).
To get registered in Rhode Island, call the RI Builders Association (RIBA) at 401-438-7400, Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm. After hours please email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will call you the next morning.
For 70 years, the Builders Association has been the trusted source for contractors in RI. We can answer your questions about this process and if you are going to do any residential work, get you signed up for the mandatory 5-hour pre-registration class.
Once you have taken the pre-registration class at RIBA, and obtained your insurance, you can then proceed to apply for your State Registration online using this link below
Now let’s talk training value!
What do you get from the industry when you train at its Contractor Training Center?
When you take the 5-hour CRLB pre-registration course at RIBA, you not only get the help you need with the process, the course includes a one-year trial membership* in the RI Builders Association with all its informational, workforce, networking, safety, personal advocacy, and insurance resources!
That allows you to get free OSHA-10 safety and Lead Paint training, free professional development classes including codes, estimating, marketing, and up to 30 other courses designed to help every aspect of your business growth – this is worth thousands of dollars! You just can’t find this value anywhere else because we are the industry non-profit trade association – it’s our mission to help you and we’ve been doing it for 70 years! All you have to do is call 401-438-7400.
Below is the new RI contractor checklist – it’s what you need prior to applying. We will discuss this with you when you call 401-438-7400.
- 1. Residential Pre-Education Courses (5 hours) are required for applicants performing work on any Residential Structures.
- 2. The State required completed application.
- 3. $500,000 Certificate of Liability Insurance indicating R.I.C.R.L.B. as the certificate holder. Please know the RI Builders Association can help you secure the insurance you need.
- 4. $200 Registration Filing Fee, 2 years. Payments made by check or money order; payable to R.I.C.R.L.B. Payments by credit or debit card must be made at the R.I.C.R.L.B. office. NO CASH.
- 5. If your company is a corporation or Limited Liability Company, you must possess a valid business registration with the Rhode Island Secretary of State. No documentation of corporate registration is required when submitting your registration, as the R.I.C.R.L.B. will validate this information as part of your application review.
If you are Out-Of-State
In addition to the above, you will need to fill out Section 3 of the Contractors’ Registration Application or the Agent of Service Form. The RI Builders Association can be your Registered Agent in Rhode Island and can explain this process.
Give the RI Builders Association a call today, we are here to guide you into the industry. As a trusted trade association, we have been doing this for over 70 years.
Call us at 401-438-7400.
Note: *Free training and trial membership requires sign up in the contractor development program.