How to become a new contractor in Rhode Island
Rhode Island law requires anyone who is in the business of commercial construction, residential home construction, alterations, or remodeling, to be registered with the State of Rhode Island Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board.
Let us make it easy for you: Call the RI Builders Association at 401-438-7400. We can answer your questions about this process and if you are going to do any residential work, get you signed up for the mandatory 5-hour pre-registration class.
Below is the new RI contractor checklist – it’s what you need prior to applying.
- 1. Residential Pre-Education Courses (5 hours) are required for applicants performing work on any Residential Structures.
- 2. The State required completed application.
- 3. A required signed statement acknowledging your understanding of the rules governing registration.
- 4. $500,000 Certificate of Liability Insurance indicating R.I.C.R.L.B. as the certificate holder. Please know the RI Builders Association can help you secure the insurance you need.
- 5. $200 Registration Filing Fee, 2 years. Payments made by check or money order; payable to R.I.C.R.L.B. Payments by credit or debit card must be made at the R.I.C.R.L.B. office. NO CASH.
- 6. If your company is a corporation or LLC, then you must be valid with R.I. Secretary of State.
If you are Out-Of-State
In addition to the above, you will need to fill out Section 3 of the Contractors’ Registration Application or the Agent of Service Form. The RI Builders Association can be your Registered Agent in Rhode Island and can explain this process.
Give the RI Builders Association a call today, we are here to guide you into the industry. As a trusted trade association, we have been doing this for over 70 years.
Call us at 401-438-7400.