Welcome to the RI Contractor Training Center at the RI Builders Association. The industry is here for you!
Call us for details on how to take the mandatory 5-hour pre-registration class. We offer the class weekly and give you the option of Zoom. Always the best price value, and it even comes with complimentary membership* which includes free OSHA training, Lead Training and hundreds of professional development courses – we aren’t just a training provider for the State, we are the industry non-profit trade training provider. We are here for your entire career in contracting. Get started now, call us at 401-438-7400, or if after hours, via email firstname.lastname@example.org
How to become a new contractor in Rhode Island
Rhode Island law requires anyone who is in the business of commercial construction, residential home construction, alterations, or remodeling, to be registered with the State of Rhode Island Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board (CRLB).
State info on registration requirements for new contractors in RI.
- Five (5) hours of Pre-Education Courses are required for new applicants performing work on any Residential Structures. This class is offered by the RI Builders Association – you will receive a certificate upon completion of this class. There is a charge for the course.
- Apply Online using Our New Online Platform.
- $500,000 certificate of liability insurance indicating R.I.C.R.L.B. as certificate holder. The RI Builders Association can help you obtain this needed insurance via the Builders Insurance Group. You will learn more when you contact us.
- You need to pay the State of RI the Contractor Registration Fee which is $200. You can pay this fee via Credit Card, Debit Card, or e-Check using the Viewpoint Cloud platform in the online application or, if you choose to mail a check, it must be made payable to
- RICRLB and mailed to:
560 Jefferson Boulevard
Warwick, RI 02886.
- Please include your Viewpoint Application Number on the check itself. If paying by check and not e-Check, please allow
up to 10 business days for processing. Please note that RICRLB does not accept cash.
- RICRLB and mailed to:
- If your company is a corporation or Limited Liability Company, you must possess a valid business registration with the Rhode Island Secretary of State. No documentation of corporate registration is required when submitting your registration, as the R.I.C.R.L.B. will validate this information as part of your application review.
Out-of-State Resident Applicants
In addition to the Instructions above, all Out-of-State applicants require an Agent of Service registered in Rhode Island. The RI Builders Association can serve as your registered agent if needed. We can discuss this when you call.
To get registered in Rhode Island, call the RI Builders Association (RIBA) at 401-438-7400, Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm. After hours please email email@example.com and someone will call you the next morning.
For 70 years, the Builders Association has been the trusted source for contractors in RI. We can answer your questions about this process and if you are going to do any residential work, get you signed up for the mandatory 5-hour pre-registration class.
Once you have taken the pre-registration class at RIBA, and obtained your insurance, you can then proceed to apply for your State Registration online using this link below
Now let’s talk training value!
What do you get from the industry when you train at the RI Builders Association?
When you take the 5-hour CRLB pre-registration course at RIBA, you not only get the help you need with the process, the course also includes a one-year trial membership* in the RI Builders Association with all its informational, workforce, networking, safety, personal advocacy, and insurance resources!
That allows you to get free OSHA-10 safety and Lead Paint training, free professional development classes including codes, estimating, marketing, and up to 30 other courses designed to help every aspect of your business growth – this is worth thousands of dollars! You just can’t find this value anywhere else because we are the industry non-profit trade association – it’s our mission to help you and we’ve been doing it for 70 years! All you have to do is call 401-438-7400.
Give the RI Builders Association a call today, we are here to guide you into the industry. As a trusted trade association, we have been doing this for over 70 years.
Call us at 401-438-7400.
Note: *Free training and trial membership requires sign up in the contractor development program.